Friday, October 31, 2008

Boo!

Even though the kids are in a foreign land and in high school, that doesn't stop them from celebrating Halloween. Jackson, in particular, has always been really "over the top" with this holiday with some pretty memorable costumes. My attention-craving boy loves any chance for people to look at him! Hannah took a more low-key, "I'm a freshman" approach this year with fangs and a pumpkin t-shirt. Tonight, we're going to celebrate my last night in Brazil with two other GM families. We're going to go to a local churrascaria to eat piles of beef and drink some Brazilian rum cocktails (caipirinhas)! Should be fun.

This week has been a good test for me. Ro and the kids have gone to work and school everyday. It has given me a chance to try my hand at nesting (clean, clean, clean!) and also work long distance. Timing was good too since Ro was able to schedule some deliveries from the rental company and repairs for the computer/telephone while I was here.

I think I'll go a little crazy alone all day but if I mix it up with enough e-mail and phone calls, I should be able to stay busy. With the daylight savings time change (they "spring ahead" here below the equator while Detroit "falls back"), I'll have a three hour time difference for a few months. I should be able to get a good run in everyday before the Motor City even wakes up. Lots of hills here. While I don't think I'll ever have Brazilian buns of steel, it is a good workout.

Jackson has a baseball game tomorrow at the Nippon Club. The Blue Jays are supposed to be really good. It'll be fun seeing him interact with the Japanese kids at the game. Ro says it is hilarious watching them find a common language between English, Japanese and Portuguese. I leave around 6:00 p.m. for the airport. Heavy sigh!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Wow....did that time ever go fast! I can't wait to see pictures of the place. Is it an apartment or a house?

Once you settle there, you'll have to be on the look out for unusual beads ;)

When do you leave Detroit for good?

Colleen said...

It is a 14th floor apartment with four bedrooms. Our stuff isn't here yet so it is filled with a mish mash of rental stuff.

After I find my weaving yarn (!), your beads are next.

I leave Detroit for good at the end of January.

Happy Halloween!