Sunday, October 19, 2008

Run Baby Run

Today was the Free Press Marathon. The "Moms on the Run Again" relay team was a stellar group comprised of Lisa, Linda, Suzanne,Patrice and I. (Lynne is in the photo too but she ran on Compuware's team this year. It was a disaster. She'll be back where she belongs for next year's race.) We each had a leg of the race that ranged in length from 3 miles to 7.1.

After not sleeping very well, I was up at 5, picked up Patrice at 6 and started running the first leg around 7:20 from the starting point of Washington Blvd. and Grand River. (I went to the bathroom before the race at the new Westin Book Cadillac at that corner. Beautiful!! No porta potties for this diva!) It took me a sad 85 minutes to run my 7.1 miles. That is just under 12 minute miles. We had to walk on one part of the bridge that was under construction so I know that slowed me down. Ugh! But I feel pretty good that I did my part. It was the longest distance I've ever attempted in my life. It was also a really pretty run over the Ambassador Bridge and down Riverside Drive in Windsor.

Get ready Jackson. I want to try a half marathon and the Sao Paulo Marathon happens in late January. I'm going to keep training.

The marathon goes through my neighborhood so we had a really fun Van Morrison cover band on our lawn and my neighbor Pat outdoes herself every year cooking the most amazing quiches and fresh breads. Oh my God. I don't even like eggs but I drool for her quiches. They are amazing. So we were going big guns until about 1 p.m. She probably had 40-50 people there throughout the morning. Burns is on Mile 21 of the race so it is really important to cheer on the marathoners at that point. We watched one guy blow out his knee right in front of us. (That's him borrowing Tom and Taylor's phone to call for a ride.)



1 comment:

Corinne said...

You are a rock star lady!!!! Congratulations on the race. You're going to do a 1/2 marathon in January? Pain... I can feel it now.