Sunday, November 23, 2008

Made It!

It is amazing how you can be at work one Friday morning and be in Sao Paulo, Brazil the next day. No problems with the flight...the powers of Tylenol PM never let me down. I was able to get 5-6 hours of sleep between NYC and Sao Paulo and was ready to go when Dan and the kids picked me up.

We went straight from the airport to the end of the year party for the Nippon Blue Jays (Jackson's baseball team). The affair was held not too far from the airport at one of the player's second family home. It was set in the countryside and had several buildings on a pretty piece of land. There was a big open-air gathering space where the guys did the BBQing and the ladies set up the sides. There were a couple smaller buildings that had sleeping quarters and bathrooms. There was even a small chapel and a pool. Everyone was really nice and tried their best to speak whatever English they knew and us Robars all sounded like dopes with our elementary-school Portguese. The food was amazing. Great steak cooked on wood chips, lots of Japanese dishes and over-the-top desserts. Everybody brought food. All the Brazilians (even the teens) kiss you on the cheek hello and goodbye. It was a really warm group of people enjoying time together amidst a few raindrops.

Dan and the kids are doing well. Hannah and Jackson went to the ocean on Friday with another GM family. (Dan was at work.) The outing really seemed to give them a peek at another side of Brazil, the beach! They swam, bought puka necklaces and ate out of coconuts. They said people approached them and offered to cook fresh shrimp and cheese on BBQs while you wait. Sure beats a hot dog vendor in Detroit. I am so glad they got a chance to go. (Thanks Nandita!) You should see their striped sunburns. They swore they put on sunscreen but I guess they missed the part about covering yourself thoroughly. Jackson, especially, looks pretty comical.

The apartment still looks the same. Our air shipment hasn't arrived yet so they are still wearing the same clothes they brought in their suitcases. Unbelievable. They told us 10 days. It has been two months! We are hoping it arrives while I am here this week so Dan doesn't have to leave work to wait for the delivery. We'll see...I am not too hopeful. The sea shipment (with all the furniture and supplies) probably won't make it until 2009.

Sorry no photos. I took some with my camera but I can't download them here. I'll try to take some today with my phone.

We are going to try to go to church today. They haven't gone here yet...can you believe that?? :) There is an English mass near the other international school so I am putting my foot down amidst the protests from my family.

Tchau.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

I am so grateful your family is finally together! God Bless All of You!!!