Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Killing Time in the Newark Airport

I feel like the Terminal Woman. I left Detroit this morning. I had a few meetings and an awards program in New York City for work so I fixed my flight back to Sao Paulo so I would have time to go into the Big Apple and get back to Newark in time for the 10 p.m. overnight flight back to Brazil. Well my afternoon meeting got canceled. Cool....I can bum around New York for the afternoon. Not to be.

It was pouring rain. I went to my favorite weaving store after the awards luncheon but after that I wasn't really in the mood to walk streets in the rain in my high heels hauling around my heavy briefcase and laptop. So I got back to the airport around 4:30. So now I am juicing up at the power station and people watching in the international terminal. It is kind of fun.

I am surrounded by rude business people having loud conversations on their cell phones. A whole bunch of stressed out leisure travelers are loading up on enough carbohydrates to run a marathon. This long hair guy is trying to pick up on the hot girl next to me. He's romancing her by telling her he can get her free wireless.

Today was a weird day. My cab going into the city got rear-ended in the Holland Tunnel. We had to fill out police reports and deal with all of that drama. Then at the luncheon, Automotive News received an "Engaged Media Brand" award. Very good. The bad part was we got beat out for the top honors by Martha Stewart Living. Didn't she go to jail? Shouldn't that prevent her from being honored by industry associations? Evil woman!

Oh well, a few more hours to go. Time to get out my book and try to stay awake.

P.S. No sooner had I posted this entry than I looked over and saw this! I'm not making this up. These two weary travelers did yoga for about 30 minutes. Guess I'm not the only one that is a little stir crazy.

No comments: