Friday, March 27, 2009

A Day at the Policia Federal

Flat Ben, a class project of my nephew Ben, visited the Policia Federal today in pursuit of his RNE card, the Brazilian equivalent of a green card. After taking a few fun photos with my guide Mara, we put Ben away and went upstairs. It should have been a quick signature and goodbye. Instead, my card was handed to me with an M in the Sexo field. Big trouble. I asked Mara if they meant mulher, the Brazilian word for woman. Not a chance. Did it mean I have sexo with males? Nope. It meant masculino. The Brazilian government has coded me as a male. So all the applications I filled out in November are now null and void because they are wrong. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! So I spent the next hour getting new fingerprints, new photos and filling out the paperwork again. I figure I'll get the card about the same time I leave Brazil. Mara thought it would be at least six months.

I kept hearing the Beyonce song over and over, "If I were a boy...."

No comments: