Thursday, August 28, 2008

Expat Angst

I just returned from a great trip to New York. I had to do a bit of work in the City on Tuesday and Wednesday so I dragged my Mom and Hannah along at the last second to celebrate my birthday on Monday. We had a superb time. In just a few days, we went through MOMA, saw Rent and Legally Blonde the Musical on Broadway, shopped, ate at some amazing restaurants, went to a great yarn shop (Habu) and just took in a big deep breath of one of my favorite cities, the Big Apple.

(This is Hannah at M&M World in Times Square and my Mom and Hannah in Central Park.)

I am sad I missed Colin's funeral but he was a city guy extraordinaire so it was kind of a nod to him too. I heard there were 750 people there....OMG! That says a lot about his impact on a whole bunch of people and what a special man he was.

Today, reality and anxiety are creeping in. Ro and Hannah could be leaving in two weeks!! Hannah has no school to attend in Detroit and all her friends are so excited to be starting high school. Graded School in Brazil isn't answering my e-mails begging to send Hannah some work. We STILL have no answers to where are we going to live, when are we leaving, what we need to take, when the visas will arrive. Should I engage in the marketing push of my life so Crain lets me work or just let them replace me??

I'll be glad when Ro gets home tomorrow. He and Jackson have been...what else?..salmon fishing up North all week. Maybe I should take up fishing to get through all this nervousness.

No comments: