Tuesday, February 05, 2008

West Point?

Jackson is a finalist to go on a three-day excursion next month to West Point in upstate NY. Detroit Public Schools takes two sophomores from each high school on the trip to tour the campus, meet other cadets and get a feel for the place. Is this a good thing? West Point is the nirvana of military academies but should I encourage my ROTC-crazy son with this option? Or will it be a good wake up call for Jackson that grades matter A LOT?

I filled out the permission slip last night and wrote the check (only $30 for three days!) but I'm not sure it is the right thing. Let's see if Obama wins and gets us out of this War. A great college education doesn't mean anything if you don't survive your military service requirement!

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Oh Man. That is a tough one Col. Shit.... in the long run, he's going to do what he wants to do as far as a military career...if that's the route he will eventually take.

I have the chills.