Saturday, August 04, 2007

Dilemma

Working from project to project has been my MO since I went out on my own two years ago. So far, it has been a pretty good strategy.

I've been working really hard on the Ambassador Bridge Enhancement Project for Ogilvy since April. I know our role is only a temporary one....once they get their permits they probably won't need a PR/ad agency any longer. At best, we thought it would last until the end of the year. It's been a big challenge....everyone hates the owner, lots of government intrigue, way too many lawyers, a client who has never done PR, etc. I've gotten them some pretty good coverage over the past few months. I'm at the Bridge every morning (their request).

Here's the problem...I got a call from Crain's last week. Bridget (who I hired 10 years ago) is leaving for another job. Keith asked if I could help out for the next month or so until they hire a new corporate communications director. I explained that I am at the Bridge in the AM and they said they'd be fine if I just worked 20 hours a week in the afternoons. I like the people at Crain's a lot and I'd like to help them out.

So, if I am at the Bridge in the AM and at Crain's in the PM, I'll be taking care of my other clients (mostly Ford and JWT) during the night shift and I will never be in the office. The last time I filled in at Crain's (at CDB), it took them three months to find a new person.

We have a big meeting with the Bridge on Wednesday. Maybe they'll fire us and it'll solve all my problems!

No comments: