Saturday, January 03, 2009

Packing (Again!)

It is hard to believe that Dan and the kids will be leaving on Friday. We've had such a crazy busy time the past few weeks. Jackson and I did the New Year's Eve four-mile run on Belle Isle and we had a great time at Lynn and Karl's house to ring in 2009. It was terrific to see all the Milford gang again.

Hannah and I went and saw Wicked last night with my Mom and Dad and enjoyed a great Italian dinner at Angelina's Bistro. That is my favorite musical by far. We had seen it in Chicago two years ago with Hannah's girlfriends but it was nice to see it again in the D. Hannah and I have the soundtrack on our IPods and we know all the words.

Ro and Jackson took the opportunity for guy bonding at the batting cage and at the go cart track last night. They even went to Taco Bell. I like the girl version way better!

We're starting to get really serious about packing up the house. We shipped a lot of stuff to Sao Paulo in the Fall but now we're clearing out the cupboards, etc. so Stan and Barbara have their own storage room when they stay in the house. We've found lots of fun photos, news clippings and cards from the years. Hannah and Jackson cracked up at a photo album from my bachelorette party (Lori got you a stripper, Mom?) and we smiled at how little the kids were in the photos from the Japan years. We found my brother Dan's baseball mitt and freshman player of the year baseball. He died in 1998. There was also a lot of chewed up paper in the bottom drawers. Guess we had a mouse or two we didn't know about.

After three trips to Home Depot for more bins, I think we've packed away most of the big stuff. The kids have to do their rooms before they leave. They keep avoiding it so I've told them they may have to pull an all-nighter Thursday but they are not leaving the US until it is done. We're storing the bins on the third floor. I'll pack up the last of the remaining rubble before I leave at the end of the month.

I think I have someone to take over my car lease. I posted the Enclave on leasetrader.com and a teacher from Novi replied. We're in the process of filling out all the paperwork with GMAC now but it all looks good. Guess I'll have to rent a car for the last few weeks which is no big deal.

Our wonderful neighbors are treating us to yet another fabulous home-cooked meal tonight. Lynne and Dan (and all our friends) have been so good to us.

1 comment:

Nanimal said...

ugh.... I do have to say your entries on packing are daunting. I am excited your getting settled.

and me and my mom went to see Wicked last time it was here (and then when I lived in CHI). I adore it! what a great time out for you girls