Saturday, January 16, 2010

Crazy Days in the D

When I'm home in Detroit, I usually don't write on my blog. After all, it is called "Departing the D" not "Visiting the D." I've had a very pleasant, hardworking trip but I'm anxious to return to Sao Paulo on Monday/Tuesday.

In addition to making sure my key card still works at Crain, the main reason I'm home this time is to help out with our biggest event of the year, the Automotive News World Congress. I was so proud of the entire marketing/events team. They did an amazing job pulling this together. The event attracted 1,000 people over the three days. We had 18 sponsors, 20 major speakers from the auto companies and a million details. You know it is a big deal when you have protesters! Sergio Marchionne's speech was interrupted three times by some very irate individuals. Security is definitely going to be beefed up next year. (Note to self--the protesters all bought very expensive registrations. Maybe this is a new niche for us!)

I renewed my membership in the downtown YMCA while I was home. I've been going over there every morning before work. So pleasant! It amazes me how many people are working out really hard at 6 a.m. I think the Y is going to be a big help to me when I'm back here for good beginning in mid-June.

I am blessed with some amazing friends. It has been great to catch up with them while I'm here. I'm really going to need them next year. GM has approved our "split family" status. Dan and Hannah are going to stay in Sao Paulo for two more years. Hannah's school in Brazil, Graded, is wonderful in so many ways and she is very fortunate to be able to graduate from there.

Jackson, Java (our dog) and I are returning to the US and will move back into our house in Indian Village. Jackson will be going to college somewhere (either Savannah, Wayne State or CCS) so that means I am going to be alone a lot of the time. It will be really, really hard but they give us a few more trips back and forth so we can stay connected...and somewhat sane. Hannah will be coming back to Detroit for her two six-week breaks in the summer and winter. Somehow we'll make it...and be stronger from the experience.

4 comments:

Corinne said...

WHAT!!!!!????? Your heading back to Detroit and Dan and Hannah are staying in Brazil?

Wow.

I hope Jackson picks CCS.

Dave said...

You guys are awesome. Always up for some MORE adventure!!!

Penny would ike to send Flat Jade to you in Brazil for some photos...Jade is Rachel's daughter in Arizona and it's a school project. Do you think you can accommodate?

If so, what is your mailing address in Brazil?

Say hi to everyone!!!

Team Russi said...

Time apart is really tough but it sounds like you're approaching it with a clear mind and great attitude. I wish you the best of luck!

Kathy Faulk said...

I've been following your blog every so often and thought I would comment about "Crazy Days". I have lived split relocation since 2003 I think. (Can't remember when this started!) In some ways it's very hard. I had 3 teens when this craziness started and now, by some miracle, I have 3 adults. Some ways it's an extraordinary experience. I don't know how your travel expenses work out, but we used to meet at Schiphol on the second floor where they have bagettes, then travel on to a city that had a hotel deal or flight deal. Romantic.
You learn a lot about yourself and your family when you do split relocation. I hope you have the good experience that we have had (and continue to have).