Saturday, July 19, 2008

Departing the D

I started this blog in January 2007 as our family prepared to move to China. I thought it would be a fun way to chronicle the experience and keep in touch with people after we left. We started Chinese lessons, told all of our friends and colleagues and got ready to move across the world.

Then the Chinese government changed their mind about the need for a design sculptor and we were out. It took us almost a year to recover. I shut my business, took a fantastic job and the kids settled back into life in the D.

Now, I think we really are going to be departing. We're headed to Sao Paulo, Brazil the first week of August to look at housing and schools and make the final decision. We could be gone by September.

GM had some rough announcements this week which I thought might be the end of it. But after hearing Rick Wagoner mention Brazil three times in his remarks as a growth area, I don't think that is the case at all.

We first learned about this early in June but I didn't want to jinx it by telling too many people. We told our parents and I told my boss, Keith. Other than that, we've tried to be normal as we filled out visa applications and got so, so much documentation together. Slowly, slowly, I've started telling people. We've pulled Hannah out of Liggett. I told my team at work about the possibility yesterday. A few people have looked at the house to rent it. We've sold some extra stuff on Craig's List. This may happen.

Should I start Portugese lessons??

No comments: